Members of the public who would like to make a complaint about a member of the Thunder Bay Police Service can do so both informally and formally.

We encourage anyone who is dissatisfied with the conduct of a member of the Thunder Bay Police Service to reach out to a supervisor to discuss their concerns. There is a Watch Commander on duty at all times who can be reached by calling, 807-684-1200 and ask to speak with the Watch Commander.

The conduct of police officers is governed by the Community Safety and Policing Act (CSPA). Officers can face charges and discipline under this Act.

The Act defines the role of a police officer and outlines how they are expected to conduct themselves. Our officers are held to a high standard of conduct and officers can face formal discipline if they disobey the Act.

This means officers:

  • Can face discipline when misconduct occurs.
  • May be charged under the CSPA.
  • Must attend a disciplinary hearing, if charged.

If an officer is charged, the Chief of Police has the authority to suspend the officer with pay while the investigation takes place, in certain circumstances.

How to Make a Complaint Against a Police Officer

Formal complaint about a police officer can be made via the Law Enforcement Complaints Agency (LECA), who are responsible for receiving, managing and overseeing public complaints about misconduct.

Visit to learn more or file a complaint online or call 1-877-411-4773.

  • Fill out the complaint form from the Law Enforcement Complaints Agency (LECA).
  • A complaint should be made within six months of the alleged wrongdoing.

You can make a complaint If you:

  • Are concerned or offended by something a police officer(s) said or did to you and were directly affected by the event.
  • Were a witness to an event involving a police officer(s) that concerned or offended you.
  • Are concerned or upset because of the way a relative or friend has been treated by a police officer(s) and you're:
  • In a personal relationship with the person who is directly involved and who has suffered loss, damage, distress, danger or inconvenience.
  • A person who has knowledge of behavior, or you have an item or evidence, that proves or shows unacceptable work.
  • Are acting on behalf of an individual. For example, a member of an organization who has been given written permission to make a complaint on another's behalf (this person is known as an agent).

Complaints About a Policy or Service

If your complaint is not about the conduct of a specific police officer, you may also complain to the Inspector General of Policing using the online complaints form.

The types of complaints the Inspector General has authority to handle include:

  • Complaints that a police service may not be providing adequate and effective policing, as defined in regulation.
  • Complaints that a police service, a police service board, or an organization that employs special constables has failed to comply with any other part of the CSPA or its regulations.
  • Complaints about procedures established by Chiefs of Police.

Complaints About Special Constables

Under the CSPA, a person can make a complaint about the conduct of a Special Constable. We encourage those who wish to file a complaint to discuss their concerns with a supervisor or contact 807-684-1200, and ask to speak with the Watch Commander.

Police Service Act Hearings schedule

View the full, current hearing schedule here.

CSPA Hearings schedule

View the full, current hearing schedule here.